D800 matrix metering vs. D600 matrix metering.

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219
Like?
Re: D800 matrix metering vs. D600 matrix metering.
In reply to Daniel Lauring, Feb 14, 2013

OK, I had a bit of time to do a test.

I used M mode at ISO 1000, f/4.5 & 1/15 to get an exposure more or less similar to your original D600 example. It turned out a bit darker but not much (I raised and lowered the curtains to try to get it close).

Then I changed to A mode and took the same shot in Matrix. The focus point was on the white part of the pillow. I guess it might be different if I focused on the red/dark areas...

Same ISO and aperture, Matrix chose 0.6 exposure. Then I put the bright bulb in the frame and tried again, Matrix chose 1/5.

The Matrix with no light photo looks correctly exposed, but obviously not at all like what it looked like in the room. It was much darker.

The M photo looks significantly darker than it looked.

The Matrix light photo looks closest to how it actually looked, though maybe a fraction brighter than it did. The photo itself looks a bit underexposed but acceptable. To me half a stop brighter looks best. A whole stop brighter is still ok but considering the light is part of the photo, it looks abit over exposed.

Maybe most important, as you can see the light photo doesn't look anywhere as under exposed as the M mode photo.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Higuma MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow