Do you "feel"yourself a lesser photographer with your RX100?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stephen McDonald
Forum ProPosts: 11,935
Like?
Re: Truth be told..--Rich
In reply to harry cannoli, Feb 14, 2013

harry cannoli wrote:

I'm holding off selling my DSLR gear until I find a really good m43 wildlife solution. I don't have a problem spending $6000 for a good, long m43 prime lens, once they make that lens. There are good 4/3 long lenses, but I'm waiting for m43. m43 would do me fine, except for wildlife, which is a big part of what i do.

You've probably already looked at the Panasonic GH3, but in case you haven't, I think it's equal to the OMD for photos and much better for video. You never know in advance whether you'd get interested in doing video, when you get a camera with its capabilities. The in-lens OIS in the Panasonic lenses should overcome the lack of in-body OIS with the GH3.

I've been picking my way through all the specs and reviews of existing M 4/3 lenses that would go with the GH3 and I've come to the same conclusion as you: that they have yet to build the lenses for it I want. I'd like something like this: a 12-45mm, a 45-150mm and a 70-400mm (maybe not possible or practical on that last one, but it would be just the thing for a track meet, with no lens changes).  I'd probably use a 500mm prime if I could afford it, but I wouldn't be happy with a fixed FL for video. Of course the FL is doubled by the M 4/3 sensor size and this camera has a 2.6X video extension mode. I'd expect the vid-caps from MOV 50 Mbps video could be excellent.

I showed this before, but once again here. It's a vid-cap from my ED-Beta, captured at 75 kb on a floppy disc from analog, SD video, 24 years ago. Know what it is? A real ID stumper, as it's a hybrid between Peregrine and Prairie Falcon.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow