5N - Who shoots 16:9? Do you?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,236Gear list
Like?
Re: 5N - Who shoots 16:9? Do you?
In reply to zelli, Feb 14, 2013

zelli wrote:

I'm interested to hear peoples comments about aspect ratio choices relative to modern picture viewing. Wide screen computer monitors, HD tv's, tablets, smart phones, they all have become excellent alternatives to making prints, but does this encourage 16:9 aspect ration image capture instead of 3:2 ? Is a 16:9 image formatted better for electronic device viewing, or will a 3:2 image be adapted to conform to the device screen and look fine anyhow?

Also, my understanding is if you shoot RAW with 16:9 selected as aspect ratio, it really has no effect (crop) and captures the full image at 3:2. Only JPEG is actually cropped when 16:9 is selected?

I really don't like wide formats. They are fine for film, but if you try to photograph an entire person they are either really small in the frame, sideways (portrait orientation), or you get just part of their upper body on a tight shot.

I find 3:2 too wide most of the time, and often crop to 4:5, 4:3, or 1:1

Personal taste of course. If you primarily display your images on a TV, 16:9 seems like a smart choice. You can always shoot it in RAW, just remember to apply a 16:9 crop when you import the photos, and only shoot landscape orientation.  Vertical shots don't display well on a TV.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow