Senior MemberPosts: 2,445Gear list
Like?
Re: The 12-35 f2.8 is good but...
In reply to RealPancho, Feb 14, 2013

RealPancho wrote:

pinnacle wrote:

RealPancho wrote:

pinnacle wrote:

It doesn't give us the "Wow!" that the older Olympus 14-35 f2.0 SHG gives you when you compare it to primes. I am hoping that Olympus will provide a similar lens that takes us to that level.

...and...uh...just remind us...what's the price tag on that baby?

If you are serious about perfection, that lens is about as close as it gets. And yes, it has a hefty price tag. However, if you have owned one, you are aware of how special it is.

For now I'll stay with my Oly 12mm, Panny 20 f1.7, Panny/Leica 25, and the Oly 45mm to cover those focal lengths and have the advantage of the speed and better bokeh properties

There is that - bokeh

those lenses offer. Collectively they are more expensive and bulky than the 12-35 but, that is my compromise to have the better overall IQ for now.

It looks to me like your only getting marginally better IQ from the 12mm, and same or worse from the others. But I definitely respect your choice. It just doesn't work for me.

The only lens that may be a tad "worse" is the 25mm and the 25mm has something in the way of "character" which is hard to define but if you have one you will likely use it on solo treks on ocassion just because of the special rendering properties. Just which of those lenses are you suggesting is not better than the 12-35 at a matched focal length?

From the tests I've seen, the 20 and the 25.

I already gave you the 25 as not testing as well and how it well it actually performs in real world use...but ask a group of people who own one and there will be the real test. Now for the 20mm....where are the test results showing the side by side superiority of the 12-35? I have not seen any direct comparisons of the two by a known testing/review authority. Can you give me the reference that you are referring to please?

Dan

Dan

Dan

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow