Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,226Gear list
Like?
Re: 49mm UV filter /protective filter for nex 5n
In reply to ropausa, Feb 14, 2013

ropausa wrote:

GaryW wrote:

These sound like more reasons not to bother with a UV filter. I read a long time ago that you can put the hood on and consider that that offers some protection. Considering the high cost of a "good" filter, it's hard for me to justify on my inexpensive lenses, and on an expensive lens, would I want to compromise the IQ at all?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

I use the Canon 28 to 300mm L lens. It comes with a very impressive looking lens hood. But if the lens hood does not vignette at 28mm it does nothing in the way of protecting against flare at 300mm. If it did work effectively at 300mm it would vignette badly at 28mm. So I leave a Heliopan Digital filter on the lens at all times for both protection and improved colors.

The above effect will also be true of any other zoom lens with a hood, unless the hood is adjustable or you use a compendium. A non-adjustable hood on a zoom will always be designed for the widest focal length of the zoom and never for the longest focal length.

Good thing I don't use superzooms.  For more modest zooms, I disagree that the hood would be useless against flare at the long end.  But more to the original topic, even a "bad" hood would offer protection to the front element to some extent.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow