As a huge Panasonic fan, I am quite disheartened by this interview:

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
chillgreg
Contributing MemberPosts: 911Gear list
Like?
Sad but profound.
In reply to harry cannoli, Feb 14, 2013

The way folks take pictures has changed, what they do with the pictures has also changed. Like many of you, I have a shoebox filled with old family photos and slides. Those pictures survived. What we shoot today probably wont.

Who prints anymore? I used to print often. Now, I put my stuff on my tablet to show it off. My images survive as a sequence of zero's and one's, sequentially deposited on fragile magnetic or electronic media. I store everything on RAID, but so what? Anyone have a computer with an RS-232 or Centronics port? What I store my images on will soon be obsolete. So long as I play the game, my images will survive. A picture or a negative in a shoebox will always be there, and will always be useable. My RAID will only be useful so long as I keep it up to the current technological standard. I must work to keep my images alive. Images in a shoebox stay alive, for years and years, with no effort at all.

When my time on earth is done, what will become of my photographs? My wife is clueless as to where my images are, and how to recover them. She will sell off my imaging suite, along with the hundreds of thousands of images stored on my redundant array. My website will be shut down once the guys who keep it going stop getting paid.

I have photos of me taken at the 1964 World's Fair. Drugstore prints of photos take with an Instamatic 100. Those photos outlived my parents, who took those photos. That's a good thing.

No shoebox of photos left by me. Nothing that will outlive me. That's a sad thing.

Rich
ice nine photography
Take only photographs, leave only footprints.

What a beautiful and touching essay Rich. Thank you so much.

I for one would LOVE to see your 1964 World Fair photos, should you ever have the time and inclination to digitize them.

Greg

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow