Opinions on Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED vs Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rockwallaby
Regular MemberPosts: 471
Like?
My experience...
In reply to ahfairley, Feb 14, 2013

I do not own the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 but instead I have the older Nikkor 28-70 f2.8.  Prior to last Christmas my 28-70 failed due to a focus motor problem which is a common fault on this lens.  The repair quote was high so I decided not to proceed with repair.  So I needed to replace it but could not afford a new Nikkor 24-70.  I researched as much as I could about the Tamron 24-70 and with all the good reports I decided to buy one.

I use it on a D300S and also a D3200.

I am very happy with the image quality that the Tamron delivers, in my opinion slightly better than the 28-70 in sharpness, colour and contrast. A good result as the 28-70 is highly regarded.

The VC works a treat and I am amazed at the fact that I can consistently obtain sharp sub 1/30th sec hand held exposures.  While I don't have a D800E to pixel peep, my 24MP D3200 will also quickly highlight poor shooting technique.  The Tamron for low shutter speeds using VC on my D3200 is excellent.  I also own a Nikkor 16-35 f4 VR and in my opinion, the image stabilisation on the Tamron is superior.

However, and as reported in reviews, it is just a tad slower in focus speed.  It does not hunt or anything like that, but it is just that tiny bit slower when compared to most of my other Nikkor lenses.

Also I have found that the Tamron can miss focus slightly when used in low/dim light situations.  Not consistently but a shot or two here and there.  I recently did a presentation event using onboard flash and there were a couple of shots in 250 total that were just a little soft and at my standards, unusable.

Overall I am very happy with the Tamron, an excellent value lens worthy of your consideration.

One minor negative is that I have to buy a new, larger polarising filter.

Cheers,

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow