Why No Nikon f1.2 G Lenses?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,402
Like?
Re: Why No Nikon f1.2 G Lenses?
In reply to Snodayz, Feb 13, 2013

Your friend is an idiot. In the days of Tri-X at ASA 400 and Ektachrome at ASA 160 there was a need for fast primes. It was still helpful for very low light shooting when DSLR's provided poor quality images at ISO settings above 800. But that has not been the situation for the past 5 years.

With ISO 3200 not a problem the f2.8 zooms were perfectly well. I have owned and shot weddings with Canon's 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, and 50mm f1.2 lenses. My experience, which was a common one was that the IQ was mediocre for the 24mm, very good with the 35mm and OK with the 50mm lens.

It was also the case and there are thousands of user posts you can check, where wedding photographers have been switching in droves to Nikon to get autofocus accuracy. A lot of shots made with Canon lenses look soft but they are really simply not in focus. I do not know if he still does it but well known Canon pro shooter Jeff Ascough would routinely send all his cameras and L series lenses in to Canon at the end of the wedding season to have the focus mechanisms recalibrated by the technicians.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
1.2sNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow