Yet another "prints-darker-than-screen" but with a twist...!

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet another "prints-darker-than-screen" but with a twist...!
In reply to dperez, Feb 13, 2013

When I originally owned a Spyder Express version software (it was actually called Color Plus before rebranding later to Express I think) and before buying the Spyder Elite Pro, the first software tutorial I had mentioned calibration between 85 to 95 lumens was acceptable for accurate calibration with software on a CRT large old style monitor, if that monitor was not able to get any brighter. In those days, I would add 8 per cent brightness in the Epson Pro 4800 custom colour profile I created as my default to compensate for dark prints and this worked well. Also in the Printer colour management when printing, I reduced the contrast setting to -6 contrast (this lightened the deep blacks of a contrasty monitor)  with brightness in printer software set to +8 or +9. This works well for my sRGB files on a monitor at 85 to 90 lumens setting. If you have a higher lumens setting, say 95 to 100 or more, then the printer setting would be less for brightness to compensate. I have a guard around monitor and brightness of room I do not find a factor of much importance, at least to me. Todays LED monitors are bright and contrasty and turning down brightness certainly helps.

Manipulating the default Printer colour management settings a bit with brightness and contrast in printer software and saving new default, can solve many printing problems or issues with monitors. Doing many prints from many jobs, and after awhile the estimate of adjustment on a print becomes second nature after hundreds of prints. I have made prints from more than a hundred weddings over 9 years.

Hope this helps.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow