Dilemma - Pentax 6 x 7 of K5 for 5 week trip to NZ

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Dilemma - Pentax 6 x 7 of K5 for 5 week trip to NZ
In reply to Koroviev, Feb 13, 2013

Hi ,

As others have observed, some of this boils down to whether you're going for a family holiday and or photographic trip. But the rest is really about personal preference.

I once owned a Pentax 6X7 and too many lenses.  Now I'm down to a K5 and too many lenses and a Canon G1X, and honestly, when I travel overseas for long periods of time, I've given up the K5 and kit too. I take the G1X with its 28-112 (equiv) zoom lens.  Yes I miss the K5 on occasion, and the reach of wider and longer lenses, but not often enough to actually change my mind.  I realised I wasn't publishing or exhibiting from my trip - I was simply looking for great memories.

I found that as a single parent, I finished up carrying my gear and the kids' raincoats, water bottles, muesli bars and all that sort of stuff, and they just won't wait while you set up a tripod, and stand there holding out for just the right moment in just the right light.........  At least you're traveling with your father as well, but for me as the only adult, medium format had to go.  And then I got sick of the DSLR kit when I traveled for six weeks about three years ago  - by the time I'd dragged the kit through every flight, every taxi, every hotel, restaurant, museum and public toilet for six weeks, I started to regret it.  There's another plus - I started to enjoy the time spent with the kids and "getting into it" a bit more than being the trip photographer.  OTOH, you may be printing big or using these shots in ways that really benefit from the use of MF.   It really just depends on what you want.......

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide!

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow