Started Feb 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398Gear list
Like?
Re: Are pancake primes extinct ?
In reply to Anders W, Feb 13, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Macx wrote:

I think there is another factor at play, too. At least from Olympus and Panasonic the trend is towards lenses with "internal focus" for fast and silent focusing. Both the 20/1.7 and 17/2.8 are fairly slow to focus compared to newer lenses, and I imagine it is relatively difficult/costly to make a new pancake with the focus speed that Olympus and Panasonic wants.

But don't forget, we have seen the introduction of one new pancake lensthing: The Olympus 15 mm/8.

As liviutza already pointed out: What about the 14 mm? Smaller and lighter than the 17/2.8 and the 20/1.7 (in spite of having to use more of a retrofocus design, shorter FL is not an advantage here) but fast (as fast as the best) and silent internal focus.

‚ÄčI have no experience with the 14, but it was my impression that it didn't stand up to the latest generation of lenses, but I stand corrected, and that seems to disproves my hypothesis that you need internal focus for instantaneous and silent operation with CDAF.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow