Brutal quarter for Nikon

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Doug Pardee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,511Gear list
Like?
Re: Not looking for something better
In reply to Gordon W, Feb 13, 2013

Gordon W wrote:

digital cameras have become good enough in recent years there's little incentive for many people to upgrade every time a new model is released.

A year ago, in the wake of the Kodak collapse, I noted [emphasis added]:

In My Opinion, there are too many players fighting for too little market in the interchangeable-lens camera arena. The camera manufacturers have to convince people to upgrade; Canon is making as many DSLRs in a month as they used to make film SLRs in a year [Internet data of unknown reliability]. If/when people start hanging onto their DSLR bodies like they did their SLRs, the bottom's going to drop out of camera sales. When the music stops, more than one manufacturer is going to find that they don't have a chair.

I haven't changed my mind. I have noticed, though, that pretty much all of the camera manufacturers also make digicams, and the non-enthusiast digicam is losing ground to the mobile phone. That means that sales will be slumping even more in each company's camera division.

I'm still not bold enough to speculate which manufacturer will be next to throw in the towel, or when it'll happen. Notice that I said who'll be "next", not "first," because Kodak has already gone. Also, depending how you do the counting, there's Minolta and then Konica/Minolta who got out of the business years ago. And Epson at the pricey end. And Sanyo and Agfa and Contax in digicams.

-- hide signature --

The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/

Doug Pardee's gear list:Doug Pardee's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Canon EOS 350D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Adobe Photoshop Elements 10 LG G2 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow