Disqualified for too much PP?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Deleted pending purge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194Gear list
Like?
Re: Disqualified for too much PP? The Link
In reply to chrisby, Feb 13, 2013

Whatever anyone sees as "minor PP" is very subjective, I agree. As RaptorUK says, various things would be required for images shot in RAW or TIFF, and usually any author tends to either keep as much of original look as possible, insofar as, say, conversion to JPEG will retain... or try to make a picture more "lookable", which is yet another undefinable term.

But whatever is being done, the traces should not show, and the image should appear "as shot". Except in cases where another expression is intended, of course.

I use "minor PP interventions" rule with intention to differentiate the expected entries from overly (visibly) modified ones in the challenge themes where the readability of the image contents is primary. I'll remove that rule in those challenges where I expect some creative approach rather than the documentary, and in such cases the entry's theme is usually also the free choice of the entrant.

In fact, and reflecting the variability of the original the photographer starts with / from, we can never really know whether any picture has been shot as RAW, JPEG or something else... What we see is what we've got, so it is entirely up to the host to accept or reject the entry...

About the light quality at various places: I recall having had serious problems with some pictures shot (on slidefilm) in Egypt, and in some other places where there was much sand of the certain kind. It was reflecting the light in such way that some light frequencies simply appeared more prominent than the other. The Skylight B filter solved it in the end, but the results looked a lot like the original image above. The effect of the Skylight made the subsequent images look more like the L'objectif's version.

Similarly, once I shot a church interior on assignment. I wondered later, how was it possible to perfectly light up the entire nave of the church using just one flash at half power... Then I learned that the church walls have been stuccoed with material containing a large percentage of chrushed shells. The microscopic reflections were unbelievable, almost full two f-stops. This has been a valuable experience.

So, to me the original image here looks kind of normal, and not visibly PP'd. But that's just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Fil

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow