Are pancake primes extinct ?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Questions thread
zenit_b
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
Extinct ? Look at all the other vendors "me too" pancakes !!!!!
In reply to amvrvd, Feb 13, 2013

amvrvd wrote:

How likely is the possibility of someone coming up with another pancake? are they extinct ? And more importantly, which focal length would you think is possible in this format ?

Amvrvd I know the context of your question was u43 but you just need to glance at the other vendors scrambling to follow pana and oly to realise the pancake lens is alive and kicking ... (deep breath)

Canon EF-M 22mm f/2

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8

Nikon 10mm f/2.8

Pentax 8.5mm f/1.9

Samsung 16mm f/2.4

Samsung 20mm f/2.8

Samsung 30mm f/2

Sony 16mm f/2.8

Sony 20mm f/2.8

Add to this the Panasonic 14mm, 20mm and the Oly 17mm and I would say we have had more pancake lenses in the last three or four years than the previous 30-40 years !!!!

Regarding Micro43 specifically I would have thought a 25mm-30mm f/2 (like the samsung above) would be possible. I'd buy it !!! I would also count the Rokinon 7.5mm as at least a partial pancake as well.

Good post ... given we have just had Shrove Tuesday, pancakes were on my mind as well !!!

zenit_b's gear list:zenit_b's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Nikon D100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow