Yet another "prints-darker-than-screen" but with a twist...!

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Adrian Van
Regular MemberPosts: 445Gear list
Like?
Re: Yet another "prints-darker-than-screen" but with a twist...!
In reply to Gilgames, Feb 13, 2013

I have Spyder Elite Pro 3 at $299. however I used to use the Express version earlier version of software at around $99 which is still on one of my 3 computers and the balance seems about the same as pro version. 100 lumens is best for CRT monitors for those that still have them, and LED monitors now have recommended 120 lumens settings or 120cd/m2.

I prefer the setting of 95 to 100 lumens to keep all my highlights with monitor connected to Epson printer which is a CRT LaCie monitor (large older monitors). Most outside services I use work well with my 100 lumens settings which are local printing digital book houses and also professional photo labs I use for sRGB prints. Even the large company www.pictage.com uses 100 lumens settings recommended, which has 11,000 or more photographer as members for this online professional printing service. Spyder has a image file with grey charts and Magrath chart on it which is handy.

Once the file is ready I do some final tweaks on printing with colour management settings and I have a saved Epson custom profile I have as Epson Lustre paper is my most often used for wedding portraits.

One other point, consider lightening up the midtones a bit on printing with highlight/shadow adjustment in Photoshop to open up shadows.

Michael Reichman on Luminous Landscape has excellent tutorials on his site for printing and calibration.

Look into these recommendations. Best of luck.

Adrian Van's gear list:Adrian Van's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Fujifilm X-M1 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow