What shutter speed to use for panning?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,510Gear list
Like?
Re: What shutter speed to use for panning?
In reply to dpyy, Feb 13, 2013

Shutter speed only matters to either freeze or to keep some motion blur of the subject being panned. For example, you may be panning an airplane with propellers. In this case, you may want to select a shutter speed that does not completely freeze the propeller movement but maintains a certain amount of motion blur to indicate it is in fact flying.

Your panning speed itself, would be dictated by the speed of the subject you’re trying to capture. Here is an example where my choice for shutter speed was largely dictated by the relatively low lighting conditions with indoor rodeo (I noticed camera metering between 1/125s to 1/160s at ISO 1600, f/2.8). This was also my first attempt at action photography with my A55 and assumed 1/160s would be good enough (and it turned out to be, most of the time). This horse was going full blast at this point (center of the arena). My panning speed was simply based on tracking the horse, regardless of the shutter speed.

BTW, I had the luxury of EVF for this image. I suspect LCD would have also worked, but EVF (or OVF for those who use DSLRs) makes it easier as the movement is more natural and fluid... more so if you can shoot with both eyes (an advantage I give to LCD at times).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow