Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,598
Like?
Re: Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
In reply to Angry Panda, Feb 13, 2013

Angry Panda wrote:

I've been shooting happily with my OMD-EM5 since last summer, and my Canon 40D has been collecting dust. However, I have a shelf of great L lenses, and have a 5D III on order partly for the extraordinary low light capabilities it offers, and to make use of the fantastic 70-200 for portraits and events, and 35/1.4 for low light candids of the kids around the house.

However, I'm wondering whether it's realistic that I'll make enough use of the 5D III to make it worth the cost. I'm certainly not going to lug it around everywhere, and probably not even on vacations. So mainly it would be for indoor low-light use around the house and special occasions and events like birthdays and recitals. But I'm also wondering whether I've been spoiled by the OMD's current size/quality trade off (especially with fast prime lenses) and won't make nearly as much use of my Canon gear as I used to in the days when I had a Canon 40D/Panasonic GF1.

For those who gave up a 5D (of whatever mark) for an OMD, do you miss it--and if so, often enough that you wish you'd kept it? Or for those who have kept their 5D after getting an OMD, are you glad that you have?

In the end, I'll have 30 days to try out the 5D III and develop some sense of whether it's worth keeping. But I'd also like to hear what folks who have had longer to miss (or not) their 5D have to relate. Thanks!

First, I see you didn't post on my related thread. We had a bustard, and a duck, and I'm a horse, but from what I see there were no Panda's posting on that thread, so why not have a peep over there and see if that strikes any chords.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50813947

It isn't really the camera I miss, the camera's job is to record the image well, and not get in the way of seeing and capturing the shot. DSLRs are phenomenally good at this, across all focal ranges. Others cameras work well, or sometimes even better, but only across certain focal lengths. If a shooter finds he prefers only certain FLs, then he may prefer the X100 or other such customised equipment.

For me, the OM-D provides the best hybrid compact/SLR experience available. The tilting screen lets it be used as a versatile compact when used with primes, while the finder supports teles and zooms using an SLR shooting style.

However, provided the body can capture the image well, it then comes down to the lens selection. And this is where I miss my Canon (20D, 5D, 5D2) the most. I have the EF-S 60mm F/2.8 Macro for my 20D, and the 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L and 70-200/4L for the 5D2 and they were all I could ask for. But still I had more, the 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L, the TSE 90/2.8 (Tilt 'n' shift) and MP-E 60mm 5x macro, to name two.

But while I miss them, for the OM-D, I have the Panleica 25/1.4 and the Oly 75/1.8 which are both exceptionally fine lenses and provide more than adequate compensation. Surprisingly, the Panasonic 100-300 is a very competent replacement for my 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L (much more so than the 45-200 I originally tried). But the really exciting part is we are now getting lenses like the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8 and perhaps something exciting from Olympus soon too.

With such a fine body, and a fantastic collection of lenses, I think the most honest remark I can make is, I'm really not finding time to miss my Canon, because I'm have a lot of fun shooting the OM-D.

-Najinsky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TORNNew
No.New
+10New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow