Canon 70-200 f4 or Tamron 2.8?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
PreetinderBajwa
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 or Tamron 2.8?
In reply to nalax, Feb 13, 2013

Thanks Nalax,

Guess we are both learning something new in this thread I will try the 2nd IS option after reading a bit more about it. You just taught me about the 186mm and panning IS !

The Tamron 7-200 2.8 VC was a decent lens, but in dark areas, people on the street at 9 p.m, the pictures were too grainy but with Canon the same situation the pictures were sharp and not grainy. The sharpness in Tamron was being lost due to :

1. the grain

2. the focus not excaty on the point which lit up inside the camera as the focus point..... overall edge to edge the picture seemed sharp but there was something missing in that sharpness, as if the red lit up point instead on the head of the person was a few inches in front of the person.....

Just an unsatisfying sharpness.... if it means anything !

It is very similar to what I experienced with the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, the picture and sharpness let something inexplicably lacking in color and sharpness..... again felt as if the focus was just ahead of the point I thought I had focused on..... the Tamron 24-70 had other flaws also in my view.

So as I chose the Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II over Tamron, I went and exchanged my Tamron 24-70 2.8VC with a canon 24-70 2.8 II even though the Canon lacks a IS ! The pictures have the color and sharpness just as the eyes expect to see !

Cheers

Preet

nalax wrote:

PreetinderBajwa wrote:

2. at 200 mm the picture taken with Tamron was smaller on the 5D3 screen than the one taken with the Canon !!

3. Canon's has two types of IS vs only one type of VC on Tamron ! (I don't know when I'll ever use the second type of IS though :-D)

Cheers

Preet

BobT wrote:

Has anyone had real experience with both the Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM AND the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lenses? If so, tell me about your opinions of the 2 lenses. I have read the reviews such as Photozone, etc, and understand that the Tammy has slower AF. How much slower in real life? Enough to discourage it's use? Other pros and cons on the Canon vs. the Tamron? Thank you so much.

-- hide signature --

If money was not an issue for a lifetime - what would you be doing instead of what you do now ?

The Tamron at 200mm is actually shorter at 186mm so it loses a bit at the long end. There is more info on this at lensrentals.

Mode 2 is used when doing panned shots. It tries to correct camera movement perpendicular to the panning direction while allowing for the panning motion. Thanks for mentioning Tamron's single VC mode - I wasn't aware of that.

-- hide signature --

If money was not an issue for a lifetime - what would you be doing instead of what you do now ?

PreetinderBajwa's gear list:PreetinderBajwa's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow