Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Feb 13, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

I own a 5D Mk1 and feel that I'm now at a turning point : should I sell all my Canon gear ? keep it dusting on a shelf on the more and more hypothetic case that I may need it ? or should I update it with a Canon 6D (I'm not considering considering a 5D3, it added a lot of weight along with features I don't need).

The only real reason pushing me toward an update is the fact that there are no TSE lenses for MFT cameras.

Have you tried comparing the results you get with your 5D and a shift lens versus the alternatives you have with MFT: perspective correction in post to get rid of the keystoning and/or use a wider FoV and crop a bit? If you did, I'd be interested to see the results. If not, I suggest you give it a try and post the results. I am sure others would be interested too.

Obviously, both of the solutions I suggest as alternatives to a shift lens imply some loss of IQ (less resolution and more noise in at least some parts of the frame). On the other hand, as I am sure you know, shift lenses have their problems as well. The oversized image circle doesn't come for free and resolution towards the "wrong" edge isn't exactly stellar in my experience when you really use the shift function (I used to have a Nikkor PC 35/2.8 for use with my Konica SLRs).

Furthermore, one alternative if you really want top quality, is to shoot multiple images and stitch. In that case, I am sure quality can beat what you can get with a single shot from a shift lens.

Personally, I have no problem getting the kind of architectural or landscape shots I want when "armed" with the 12/2, the 7-14/4, and the 7.5/3.5 FE, with the FE suitably "defished" and the 7-14 sometimes "refished" (using some version of the Panini projection in both cases). Some modest examples in this thread as well as this one.

When it comes to tilt, Kipon makes a tilt adapter that can be used with "legacy" lenses. Since tilt is of greater interest with longer FLs than with WAs (where DoF is usually sufficient anyway), the crop factor shouldn't be much of a problem in this case.

I could sell the 5D plus the first version of the 16-35mm F2.8 L zoom which I don't use on the FF and that shouldn't make the price of the updating too painful. I will probably pay a visit to my favorite camera shop and see whether I can get a good deal In exchange. But I'm still wondering whether I'll use the 6D enough to justify the update. One thing is sure : I'm mostly using the E-M5 these days. But it has also something to do with the novity. Getting a 6D would push me to use the FF again.

One thing is worrying me however : reading the DPreview review of the 6D, the E-M5 seems to have more DR than the 6D and that is one of the most important feature I appreciate with the E-M5. I would love the WIFI connectivity and GPS of the 6D (you can shoot remotely using an iPad - it seems - and compose on a huge E-VF). But I hate the fact that it only has a fixed LCD.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TORNNew
No.New
+10New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow