D800: Black spot on sensor

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
kb2zuz
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,196Gear list
Like?
Re: D800: Black spot on sensor
In reply to opirox, Feb 13, 2013

You'll need to do a wet cleaning. They make swabs that are basically coated with something similar to isopropanol. They make your life easy because they are individually sealed so you don't have to worry about using a brush or cloth that may have dirt --or worse, sand-- in them. They also come on a little wand/stick which makes it easier to reach inside the cavity of the camera. Just make sure you get the ones made for a full-frame sensor (as they also make smaller ones for APS-C sensors). You can also get dry wipes/pads/wands and use something like Eclipse or Visible dust solution.

I would not recommend just using strait Isopropanol because I cannot promise it won't do anything to the surface coatings on the sensor, so I recommend getting something in a solution made specifically for the purpose.

Keep in mind you are not cleaning the actual sensor, you are cleaning the filter glass on top of the sensor. So it's relatively resilient, but if you get a single spec of sand or hard dust in there when wiping you will scratch the heck out of the filter, which will be a costly replacement... maybe $500? Be sure to clear the sensor of hard particles with your blower immediately before performing the wipe.

-- hide signature --

\~K

kb2zuz's gear list:kb2zuz's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800 Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow