TAMRON 70-300MM VC - Do I have a good copy?

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,324Gear list
Like?
Re: TAMRON 70-300MM VC - Do I have a good copy?
In reply to victorian squid, Feb 13, 2013

victorian squid wrote:

Hi - judging by what you've posted here it seems to be fine. If you look back to July, you'll see my extensive posting on my problem with this lens shooting on a 60D. I went through 4 copies (3 really, one was just dead) and gave up.

What I ran across was that I'd either have extreme softness at 70mm, or in my last and best copy - terrible front focusing at distance. Anything that was say, 5-20 feet away was fine, but going beyond that fell off sharply. Doing a battery test confirmed a slight front focus, but the further away the subject got the worse the focus - almost logarithmically.

It's a fantastic lens, and I do plan on trying one again in the future. It's a great size and very responsive with amazing VC. I was amazed at the sharpness I got at 300mm, where it is supposed to be weak. The only shortcoming I found with the lens is working with bright subjects. And for the asking price I don't find this a deal breaker. I figure that for the cost of the Tamron - it's a bit more than a 1.4x teleconverter would be for my 70-200 f2.8, and the image quality at 300 would be superior.Plus, smaller and lighter!

What I would suggest for you is shooting at various distances, and be sure that you can achieve consistent focus on near subjects as well as far. If you can do this, you should be good to go!

Hey, VS. So your gonna go again with the Tamy? Fingers crossed for you. Hope you don't go 0 for 5!

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow