Was I sold some snake oil ?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Questions thread
PreetinderBajwa
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Feb 13, 2013

Hi Sammy,

Thanks for sharing that, that's my motivation of keeping the filter on...... I am a hobbyist photographer and not a rich one... this is once in a life time splurge and I got the 5D3 and two top of the line 2.8 L lenses..... I don't think I will have the money in the next few years to replace them if they got scratched......

I will curse myself if the front element somehow was damaged/scratched..... so I decided to keep one  but a much cheaper one.....

I took the expensive snake oil back and the sales man was reluctant to take it back..... eventually he did... as I was exchanging my Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC with the Canon 24-70 2.8 IS II...... and I got cheaper snake oil (filter)

Cheers

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Can you take it back? You don't need to spend that kind of money on a clear filter!

I'm always amazed at how people who don't use filters keep telling you how much they degrade the image. I've always kept on the front of each of my lenses. There's probably a small difference between a moderately priced one and a very expensive one. Some of my lenses have cheap and nasty filters. The only time I even notice is if I'm shooting at night or shooting into the sun, and even then I've very rarely had an image ruined by a filter. Have some of you seen just how badly scratched the front element of a lens has to be to start to degrade contrast? But I'd rather a constant 1% degradation and the option of changing out what sits the front of my lens if it does get badly scratched for $5-$30.

Also lens hoods can cast nasty shadows in your picture if you use flash on camera.

-- hide signature --

Sammy.
My forum postings reflect my own opinions and not those of my employer. I'm not employed in the photo business.

-- hide signature --

If money was not an issue for a lifetime - what would you be doing instead of what you do now ?

PreetinderBajwa's gear list:PreetinderBajwa's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow