winter1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,675Gear list
Like?
Re: Fantastic
In reply to Tung Chung, Feb 13, 2013

Tung Chung wrote:

winter1 wrote:

Wow that is beautiful Tung.

I am very interested in this and have had a plan to buy a Telescope for a number of years. However like most things it's a minefiled out there and as a complete Novice when it comes to Astronomy I have no idea where to start!? I wonder if you would be so kind as to advise (in detail) the type of equipment required to take such splendid Photos. I already have the D800 and some good Glass so it's the Telescope and other bits of equipment I need help with. Where to buy and approx cost?

Anyhow fantastic shots Tung, and if you get time to send me a PM I would be most grateful.

Kind regards, Mark (winter1)

Hi mark,

If you're planning to use your current glass, you wouldn't need a telescope to help take the photos. All you'll need is a device to track/follow the rotation of the earth. I recommend a device known as astrotrac, it allows you to use your current photographic equipment, if you have a decent tripod and ball head, all you'll need is the tracker and an additional tripod head. some information about the set up could be found on this blog:

http://www.tungchung.co.uk/blog/2012/12/nikon-d800-astrophotography-astrotrac

As for costs, you're looking at around the £500 mark for this setup.

Tung

Thanks for the info Tung.  I'll certainly be checking the "Astrotrac" out.  However I don't have a decent Tripod so by the time I finish with this I guess I am looking at £1000+.

I am a complete Novice at Astronomy in general and have found it a bit of a mine field re what Telescope etc etc.  My end goal is to get into "Astrophotography" but I need to learn the basics in Astronomy first.  At 54 not sure I have enough time left!!!

Found a local club so may be worth joining that initially.  Build up some basic knowledge and go from there.

Cheers, Mark (winter1)

winter1's gear list:winter1's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow