Decision time on A99

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,265
Like?
Re: A99 flash
In reply to Edward Sargent, Feb 13, 2013

Edward Sargent wrote:

Is there a lag for straight fill flash night scene etc.

Not that I know of.  Main on-camera flash performs as expected.

I saw Gary's video on the lag, I recall him talking about various combinations and how bad it was but not about the quality of the results. I will probably stick to the A77 for those situations where the lag would hurt. I'm almost 50% sure that some bios update will remedy the situation.

I'm not sure a BIOS update will do it, but I don't know for sure. For me, one of the great uses of full frame is portraits, and you will be in wireless mode for these.  Blinking after the preflash is huge problem! However, the workaround is to use the FEL button which locks the preflash metering so subsequent flashes have no delay.  You just have to re-lock the flash exposure if you make a big change to the setup.

My concern is the controller flash and the amount of light it contributes to the scene. It sounds like the HVL20AM is needed rather than the HVLF43AM but are they coming out with a ISO mount alternate for the 20 any time soon?

Beats me, but we all may be forced to go to radio triggers like the Phottix Odin to get A77 on-camera wireless delay performance. The Odin also works in HS mode which I think is a requirement for a radio system.  I'm not buying the Odin yet as I'm hoping that Sony will fix the situation.  I think also that the Odin still has the Minolta connection so that forces you to use the damned adapter atop the camera--sigh.

For me, the A99 is what I wanted my A77 to be like, so I'm very pleased with the camera except for Sony screwing us Minolta flash users over on a camera that is so expensive.

-- hide signature --

--

Steve W weather photos: http://home.comcast.net/~scwest/atmo/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow