Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, exactly like any corrupt society
In reply to fad, Feb 13, 2013

fad wrote:

Ando72 wrote:

I have to laugh when Americans think that anything other than pure capitalism is the thin end of the wedge on the slide towards communism

So you seriously think that a guy building a relationship with a salesperson to get better service/price is related to Soviet communism? Really?

Yes, friend, I'm just a stupid straw man who only purpose in life to justify your stereotypical thinking :).

Yes, 'is related to' is vague enough that I can say yes. But the way they are related is what matters. The key thing about the market is its ability to destroy sellers through competition and to provide information via price. Whatever its limitations, it makes things cheap, abundant and easy to obtain.

Building a relationship with a retail salesperson, is very inefficient and, by its nature, discriminatory. It is substituting very personalized effort for price. That, my friend, is how things work on a grand scale in corrupt societies like Soviet Russia and current day China. And this is profoundly undemocratic and discriminatory. Anyone can buy at the same price from B&H and Amazon US. You don't have to smell nice, or look nice or speak the language. A dollar does not know who owns it, and that is the essence of democratic equality. The 'wrong' sort of person has the same privileges as 'special' people like us.

Getting a special price by personal relationship is actually a mild form of corruption. (Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it.)

But, what do we know? We ​fought​ for our independence. ;>)

-- hide signature --

Fought because of taxes? Independence meant a very different thing in many nations that literally were sold, chopped up, and converted into oblivion by their colonisers.

Back to prices: it's not just Canada. It's everywhere that isn't the USA. USA has the buying power, the population, and the pizzaz to get the deals. Canada is square one of the bowled over.

But then again, we let freedom come in due time rather than killing for it.

And before this gets locked, it was capitalism that drove manufacturing from the USA. I spent my middle school years in Colorado before moving to Canada and what I remember of school was: capitalism is the wonder tool of the gods. Anything else (no matter what form) is communism and therefore evil. Anything.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow