Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ianbrown
Senior MemberPosts: 1,871
Like?
RX1 EVF my findings
Feb 13, 2013

Firstly at £349 the EVF is not cheap, however I feel for my needs its essential.

Firstly if you wear reading glasses and depending on the strength, the EVF allows you to adjust via the diopter and therefore you can see sharp focus. Otherwise holding the camera at arms length ( for me) doesn't give me a sharp view, yes I could manage as focusing on Landscape etc is not always critical. The other advantage is it gives you a much better feel for composition when holding tight to the eye.

Also you can swivel the EVF so you look down into it allowing you to view difficult low shots.

It also allows you to view everything you can see in the monitor and you can customise what data you wish to see.

Now if you have been used to optical viewfinders then you may need to use it for a while to get used to it.

The colour is very accurate and the resolution is more than adequate and much better than say the Panasonic GH3. I am not sure, but I think it's the same as the NEX 6 and Sony A99.

A couple of downsides are you can't use the thumb grip on the hot shoe and the EVF and the diopter can be easily knocked.

One other thing is it comes with 2 rubber eye pads and the larger one is superb, much larger than on any other attached EVF and blocks almost all the light.

it comes in a nice leather pouch so you can just keep it in your pocket and pop it on when needed and if you want to be low key when out for dinner etc just leave it off.

Some people say it drains and already poor battery performance, well I found the EVF lasted longer than when using the monitor. I guess that's because it's much smaller, just test it to auto and when your eye goes to the EVF the monitor goes off.

Also viewing images you have taken on the EVF is great.

So it's expensive but for me if there wasn't an optional EVF I wouldnt have bought the camera.

I don't think you would be disappointed

Ian

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow