Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,565Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
In reply to Angry Panda, Feb 13, 2013

Angry Panda wrote:

However, I'm wondering whether it's realistic that I'll make enough use of the 5D III to make it worth the cost. I'm certainly not going to lug it around everywhere, and probably not even on vacations. So mainly it would be for indoor low-light use around the house and special occasions and events like birthdays and recitals.

For low light stuff around the house the E-M5 will be fine - use it with the 17 F1.8 and you'll be happy.

I don't have a 5D (DSLRs are too heavy and impractical for what I shoot). As a cheaper alternative for a "see in the dark" camera, the Fuji X-Pro1 is pretty good. It won't have the choice of lenses of the Canon and the AF is slower than the E-M5 but it is excellent for low light work (great high ISO results, OVF, works well with flash etc).

That said, I'm not sure I would bother for the purposes you describe. Another alternative that might make more sense is the GH3, which has similar results to the E-M5 for stills (possibly a hair nicer) but doubles as a very nice video camera too and you can use all your M43s lenses on it.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TORNNew
No.New
+10New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow