Nikon (and Canon) they're on to you

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
J Mankila
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,234
Like?
On customer loyalty, and what is meaningful...
In reply to fad, Feb 13, 2013

fad wrote:

Building a relationship with a retail salesperson, is very inefficient and, by its nature, discriminatory. It is substituting very personalized effort for price. That, my friend, is how things work on a grand scale in corrupt societies like Soviet Russia and current day China. And this is profoundly undemocratic and discriminatory.....

In essence, you seem somewhat willing to adopt a society where customers and providers are completely impersonal, or faceless. Am I correct? Such a community would entail no sympathy, no hindrance for stretching rights, no commitment - no connection. In a way, this can be seen as the pinnacle of the contemporary trend, but...

I'm not sure that would solve as many problems or abrasions as it would generate.

Being a shy person myself, somewhat challenged in swimming through "the circles" and creating these "networks", an impersonal society would perhaps benefit me. I would still denounce it. "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" sort of leagues between "haves" are fishy, indeed, but they're very much in the core of libertarian capitalism as they are in corrupt cultures. So, pick your coctail, they both have poison in it.

Anyone can buy at the same price from B&H and Amazon US. You don't have to smell nice, or look nice or speak the language. A dollar does not know who owns it, and that is the essence of democratic equality. The 'wrong' sort of person has the same privileges as 'special' people like us.

Interesting that someone would equate equality of dollar to equality of people... But I'll skip that particular topic for now. It's a can of worms.

Getting a special price by personal relationship is actually a mild form of corruption. (Not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it.)

Consider the benefits of customer loyalty and positive word-of-mouth. For further ponderings, please, read the abstract of this paper, What Is the True Value of a Lost Customer:

http://www.1st2c.com/PDF/What_is_the_True_Value_of_a_Lost_Customer.pdf

A fellow person sitting behind the counter can become a friend who can inspire confidence in buying an expensive piece of gear, expel hesitation, or assist when encountering a problem, be it purely technical or practical. In turn, a loyal customer can become a valuable friend, both emotionally and financially.

A large website with a 'contact us' sheet only goes so far. Usually, the loyalty ends when another website shaves a tenner from the price.

PS:

But, what do we know? We ​fought​ for our independence. ;>)

So did our grandparents, against the USSR, no less. Not that it changes me and my view of the world. The world changes and people move on.

-- hide signature --

regards
Janne Mankila, Finland

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow