Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GAitken
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
Issue activating MF on EM5 using 75-300 and multi-function
Feb 13, 2013

I think I've reviewed related threads and not found an answer to this; my apologies if this is a repeat.

Has anyone found a way of activating MF + magnify on an em5 with *one* button (can be multiple presses)?

I have the following settings:

Fn2 mapped to multi-function, focus magnify as default.

MF assist off

focus mode: S-AF

If I have the 12mm/f2 with snap-focus ring on, pressing Fn2 twice brings up magnify and pulling the snap-focus ring in activates MF; or pulling the snap-focus ring activates MF and pressing Fn2 twice brings up magnify; the world is good.

However, the 75-300 does not have a snap-focus ring.

I don't want to use S-AF + MF because it's too easy to nudge the focus ring and have it switch to MF mode by mistake.   I don't want MF assist on because with a manual lens it may be way out of focus to start with and I want to get close before turning magnify on.

If you have another button, say Fn1, mapped to MF, you have to remember to go to MF mode before you go to magnify mode; pressing Fn1 when in multi-function magnify mode does nothing.  So it requires mapping two buttons, and pressing the first one (MF) once, then the second one (multi-function) twice.  If you magnify first by mistake, you have to cancel it, activate MF, then reinstate it.

There must be a better way?

GAitken's gear list:GAitken's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow