Canon 70-200 f4 or Tamron 2.8?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
PreetinderBajwa
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 or Tamron 2.8?
In reply to BobT, Feb 13, 2013

Hi BobT,

I tried the Tamron yesterday while I was choosing between Canon 2.8 II and Tamron. I found the following :

1. even though the Tamron was really sharp it was less overall sharp than Canon (to my eyes)

2. at 200 mm the picture taken with Tamron was smaller on the 5D3 screen than the one taken with the Canon !!

3. Canon's has two types of IS vs only one type of VC on Tamron ! (I don't know when I'll ever use the second type of IS though :-D)

4. The focusing is a bit more fast on Canon !

5. The IS was more effective at 1/30 and 1/10 on Canon ( I do have shaky hands but they are consistently shaky for Canon or Tamron :-D)

6. The most important thing in Canon's favor was the inexplicable overall feel of the pic ! It was just more pleasing overall !

From whatever I have read about the Canon 4 IS, its a better lens..... The only downside of the Canon is F4 max aperture.

I guess, if 2.8 is a must for you and you think the Canon 2.8 II is a expensive bet, then Tamron would do.... If 2.8 is not mandatory, then my feel would be to go with canon F4.

Cheers

Preet

BobT wrote:

Has anyone had real experience with both the Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM AND the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 lenses? If so, tell me about your opinions of the 2 lenses. I have read the reviews such as Photozone, etc, and understand that the Tammy has slower AF. How much slower in real life? Enough to discourage it's use? Other pros and cons on the Canon vs. the Tamron? Thank you so much.

-- hide signature --

If money was not an issue for a lifetime - what would you be doing instead of what you do now ?

PreetinderBajwa's gear list:PreetinderBajwa's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow