Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Angry Panda
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Anyone Miss Their 5D (I, II, or III) after getting an OMD?
Feb 13, 2013

I've been shooting happily with my OMD-EM5 since last summer, and my Canon 40D has been collecting dust.  However, I have a shelf of great L lenses, and have a 5D III on order partly for the extraordinary low light capabilities it offers, and to make use of the fantastic 70-200 for portraits and events, and 35/1.4 for low light candids of the kids around the house.

However, I'm wondering whether it's realistic that I'll make enough use of the 5D III to make it worth the cost.  I'm certainly not going to lug it around everywhere, and probably not even on vacations.  So mainly it would be for indoor low-light use around the house and special occasions and events like birthdays and recitals.  But I'm also wondering whether I've been spoiled by the OMD's current size/quality trade off (especially with fast prime lenses) and won't make nearly as much use of my Canon gear as I used to in the days when I had a Canon 40D/Panasonic GF1.

For those who gave up a 5D (of whatever mark) for an OMD, do you miss it--and if so, often enough that you wish you'd kept it?  Or for those who have kept their 5D after getting an OMD, are you glad that you have?

In the end, I'll have 30 days to try out the 5D III and develop some sense of whether it's worth keeping.  But I'd also like to hear what folks who have had longer to miss (or not) their 5D have to relate.  Thanks!

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TORNNew
No.New
+10New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow