North part of Old Havana (OM-D e-m5 & Lumix 12-35mm Lens)

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
JeanPierre Martel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,953Gear list
Like?
Re: North part of Old Havana (OM-D e-m5 & Lumix 12-35mm Lens)
In reply to Colin Franks, Feb 13, 2013

Noah Genda wrote:

Is the coffee ok to drink there? (in terms of avoiding the "runs").

In a coffee machine, water is heated up to the boiling point. That kills all germs. So it's almost impossible to catch diarrhea from a coffee. (Note: cuban coffee is very good. Cuba has its own coffee plantations).

The risk comes mostly from ice cubes in cocktails and from tap water. Before a trip in Cuba, an oral vaccine like Dukoral (for diarrhea and cholera) should be taken.

In a foreign Country, each visitor has to decide which level of security he wants. In my case, I wanted to try the national drink, the Mojito. It contains ice and, consequently, represents a risk. But I was ready to assume the consequences of that decision. During my three-week stay in La Havana, I drank five Mojitos (without any problem). The best ones that I've drink were served at Parque Central Hotel (in the modern new annex behind the main one on Central Park). It's really extraordinary.

A Mojito at Parque Central Hotel

JeanPierre Martel's gear list:JeanPierre Martel's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow