As a huge Panasonic fan, I am quite disheartened by this interview:

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedandtricia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: As a huge Panasonic fan, I am quite disheartened by this interview:
In reply to chillgreg, Feb 13, 2013

Personally, I think things for camera manufacturers like Panasonic will improve on the consumer side when they figure out a way to get grandmas parents and teenagers talking about one camera (yes, just one) in a big way the way people talk about iPhones.

Not only are the product line complexities overwhelming with cameras, but add on top of that the specialized knowledge required to learn how to use cameras well. Contrast that with iPhones and Instagram which have become popular precisely because it makes app users and photographers out of people who don't know anything.

I do find it strange to hear Panasonic's leadership confused on how to market image quality. I mean, real cameras dominate iPhones in such an unfunny way that the image quality should sell itself. And yet we live in a parallel universe where poor image quality dominates the market. That is a testimonial to the failure of camera manufacturers to create a consumer product where image quality is easy to achieve. leadership must be a bit confused if they don't know how to sell and market a product that naturally dominates the competition in all the important ways-- the visual results.

Taking an incredibly complicated enthusiast/pro product and slapping a wifi enabled touchscreen menu onto it is not how you build a huge winning consumer product. They need to design their own dumb as doornails consumer smart phone that makes photographers out of grandmas. My guess is such a product does not require you to set the f-stop and ISO and other such things on it.

tedandtricia's gear list:tedandtricia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow