What is this fascination with iso6400?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Biggs23
Biggs23 MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,572Gear list
Like?
Re: What is this fascination with iso6400?
In reply to John Sheehy, Feb 13, 2013

John Sheehy wrote:

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

EDIT 2: Like someone said, would 600.000-something ISO be enough? Or will we suddenly discover we need 1 million?

1 million is not far-fetched at all. In fact, the only reason I can't get a usable, small web-sized ISO 1 million from my 6D is because of the banding noise; horizontal lines running across the image. If I took some opaque black paint and covered a few hundred columns of pixels on both edges of the sensor, I could use the data from these masked areas to get rid of most of the banding noise. The camera only uses less than 100 masked pixels on the left edge of the image, and that simply is not enough to remove banding at ISO 1 million.

Some day we may have commercially available cameras that are photon counters, and then ISO 1 million will be much more usable than it is today.

You're not wrong at all. I've taken a few usable (admittedly ugly in terms of noise, but still better than nothing and without even the banding you speak of) images at 204,800 ISO on the D4. I've no doubt that in a decade that same quality will be available at 1,000,000 ISO.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow