Decision time on A99

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve West
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,168
Like?
A99 flash
In reply to Edward Sargent, Feb 13, 2013

Edward Sargent wrote:

The second item is the lack of on board flash, I do a lot of wireless flash with the A77 using both the HVLF42AM and HVLF42AM. I'm concerned because the control flash is the 43 forcing me to get a third unit to get the same effects I get now with the A77.

You do know that currently, there is no equivalent wireless solution on the A99 that gives the performance of the built-in A77 flash used as a controller.  The delay in preflash TTL with the A77 internal flash is about 100ms.  No wireless solution with the A99 gives better than about 1/4-sec lag between the preflash and main wireless flash!  Even if you use the expensive H60, H58 or H43 as controllers! Just so you know.  Sony will have to address this as they have left Minolta wireless flash uses out in the cold, but it looks like Sony doesn't care. If you use the Phottix Odin radio solution, the preflash TTL lag is about 100ms (I asked them and they tested it).

Having said that, I have both the A77 and A99, and I really love the A99.  If you can fill the A99 frame with the same scene that fills the A77 frame, you will get about a 3-stop image noise improvement.  If you use the A99 in crop mode and match scenes, you get about a stop improvement. You will love the A99, but make sure you can live with the very long TTL lag in wireless mode esp since you say you shoot a lot of wireless.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow