Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Minolta "Crossed X" 50mm 1.7 and 70-210 "Beercan"
In reply to EarthQuake, Feb 13, 2013

EarthQuake wrote:

VirtualMirage wrote:

I can agree about them being a higher risk of sticking blades. I have a 50mm 1.7 with crossed X's sitting on my bookshelf that has sticky blades. Even taking it apart to clean the blades didn't help, the oil kept seeping back in.

This particular lens came from my father's kit when he bought his Maxxum 7000 in the 80's when we were stationed in Okinawa. Since the 7000 was released in 1985 and we moved back to the states in 1986, my guess is he bought it right when they released them. That makes my 50mm paperweight around 28 years old. I liked the collapsible lens shade, clever idea.

-- hide signature --

Paul

Yeah, you need to completely disassemble it, remove the blades and clean each blade, or stick the aperture assembly in an ultrasonic cleaner(I've done it both ways successfully) or the oil will come right back. Be sure to clean all the areas near the aperture assembly to keep the oil from seeping back in. Make sure everything is absolutely 100% dry as well.

There's a great guide here: http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/disassembly_repair_of_maxxum_50mm_lens

Yep, that's the guide I used.  The only thing I couldn't do was the ultrasonic cleaner method like you suggested.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow