Started Feb 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
projectfx
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
D800 body, lenses, and VR question.
Feb 13, 2013

i posted this in the beginner forum, hope i don't get killed for posting here...really would like to get some opinions on this.

I have a Nikon D800 which I currently use with a 35mm prime. I am in the market for a mid-range zoom lens and looking very hard at the 24-70mm 2.8 Nikon.

I’ve been doing research and want to get confirmation on some of the conclusions I have made.

I was originally looking at the 24-70mm f2.8 vs. 24-120mm f4 vs. 85mm f1.4

The 24-120mm – the extra range is nice. The construction of the lens is not nearly as good as the 24-70mm. the general consensus is that the IQ is OK

The 85mm – seems like an amazing lens, by all accounts its well-made, produces excellent IQ, and is reasonably priced. My issue here is that it’s still a prime, and I will end up having to switch lenses more then I’d like. I am really looking for the best “walk around” lens I can get

The 24-70 – this really is the lens I am looking at HARD, by all accounts it’s a great lens, excellent IQ, great build, etc. the one thing that has concerned me is the fact that it’s a lens that has been around for 5+ years, and may get an update soon…it also doesn’t have VR which is now becoming more and more standard on Nikon lenses.

Here is where the question comes in...Seeing as I shoot on a D800 which is capable of a pretty high ISO, what am I really giving up by shooting with no VR at higher shutter speeds and higher ISO? Is it just the noise in the images? I can’t imagine the difference between VR and non VR lenses being so drastic that I will end up jacking my ISO that high.

I am posting this in the newbie forum because I may not be thinking of something pretty basic, or maybe am not framing my question correctly...but I am basically looking for a great lens to go with my great camera that will produce great images for most indoor and outdoor occasions.

Looking forward to the responses, and thank you for the help.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow