Landscape camera

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,455
Like?
Re: Landscape camera
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Feb 13, 2013

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

Between the D800E and 14-24 though, there is no competition from anywhere else in the DSLR landscape world currently.

While I agree that D800E is the best landscape DSLR in the FX format, the ultra-wide angle lens choice is a little more complicated. Different UWA lenses have different strengths and weaknesses.

The Nikon 14-24 is very sharp, but has a large bulbous front element. If you wish to use filters you are limited to attaching a filter hold onto the front of the lens. It wont take screw-in filters. At some focal lengths it is a little weak in the corners. There have been complaints about flair and ghosting with this lens as the front element catches light from a large area.

Another lens that is well liked among landscapers is the Zeiss 21mm f/2. It is a manual focus lens, but has excellent image quality. You can find more about it by searing in this forum and on the Nikon SLR Lens forum here at dpreview.

Some like the Nikon 17-35mm and 16-35mm because they take filters. I use the 17-35mm. It is an very good lens, but weak in the corners due to extreme field curvature at the corners. This can sometimes be overcome with focus stacking.

The new Sigma 35mm is supposed to be excellent.

Samyang (Rokinon in the USA) makes some very good and very inexpensive manual focus wide lenses. Their 15mm is said to be very sharp. It's main fault is distortion, which may not matter much with landscapes. They have a 24mm f/1.4, a 35mm f/1.4, and will be releasing a 24mm tilt/shift lens (possibly in March). I have the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 and am very impressed with the image quality and low cost.

The Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 has good image quality, but is a little weak at 24mm. Best from 28mm up.

There are other choices I've forgotten.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow