I've been intrigued by processing RAW photo files ...

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,712Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been intrigued by processing RAW photo files ...
In reply to webfrasse, Feb 13, 2013

webfrasse wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

webfrasse wrote:

OSX supports these formats, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5371

No. Mikael. that's not correct -- the most recent OS X version and its dependent programs, iPhoto and Aperture, support the full list of formats. Apple does not provide provide ongoing RAW updating support for earlier versions.

it so easily could, obviously.

Cheers, geoff

If you actually read the page that I linked to it talks about ML, not earlier versions.

"OS X Mountain Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats"

You didn't specify what version of OSX you were using so what was a reader to assume?

How about using Google yourself for a change? Or ask Apple, they are the only ones with the final answer.

H Mikael

Bo need to get your knickers in a knot. i knew about the new releases already. My question/observation as a result of reading the dcraw page is why Apple can't update RAW support both quicker and for more versions of X.

As you say, I didn’t specify which X version I'm using (in fact, X.6.8) but that was because it is not relevant to my original intent in posting what I did. But I note that you didn’t specify which X you were talking about either. A lot of people are not using ML.

Staying behind is not a way to keep up. There is no business reason for Apple to update old versions of OSX so they don't. Same goes for all software vendors.

And your snide "How about using Google yourself for a change?" i use it all the time. it’s not my problem if you decide to use it to go off on a tangent from what I posted.

But don’t slag me, thank you.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Mikael

"Keep up" with what, Mikael?

My primary program on which my business depends is Canvas. ACD having bought it stopped supporting it for Mac at Canvas X about 7 years ago. There is still no single program that can rival it for integration and productivity. OS X beyond X.6.8 won’t support it.

So I stay ahead by staying behind.

I'm not the only one who isn’t tired to the Apple corporate teat.

I complement Canvas for some initial photo processing with PhotoLine. For under $100 (original price plus moderate upgrade costs from time to time), it keeps me up to date with RAW conversion (which I rarely use, but hey, it's nice to have it when I need it) and lots of tricks. It is ahead of Apple in RAW conversion updates generally.

As for "no business reason" not to support older OSes. actually, it depends how you shape your business. Apple is intent on gouging top dollar for consumer stuff now; it wasn't always so. Microsith is a little different -- when it decides to ditch a program, it often gives it away free. And to think we all thought it was a monster!

Cheers, geoff

 Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow