SPP Advantages of the new monochrome conversion?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,361
Like?
Re: Yes, better noise handling and control over input
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Feb 12, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Digiman69 wrote:

..respect of using a dedicated SW or PS directly.

Does Sigma claim some technical advantages?

The main improvement is that it's a totally different raw processing engine - so it thinks only of tone. As such it reduces artifacts of color conversion that can appear at high ISO, color noise, while still maintaining a high level of detail. At CES they had some 20x30" prints of ISO 3200 scenes that looked really good. That's the main improvement over using B&W conversion software (and there's no reason you can't add further effects from conversion software after SPP B&W conversion).

At the same time because the original data is still divided, SPP can apply virtual color filters - adjusting the balance between red/green/blue and so on to get an image that looks like it was shot with different filters. That's the advantage that the system has over dedicated monochrome Bayer cameras, which no longer have any color information and so you actually have to shoot with a red filter if you want that effect and so on.

I'm still trying to grasp this difference.  With a bayer sensor raw, within eg Lightroom, I can go to monochrome and choose to lighten/darken, etc.. any number of various original colors (that were in the color scene, RGG, Yellows, Cyans, etc..   Actually, I think I can do this to a color Tif converted from the raw as well.

I guess what I'm asking, is what difference does one imagine between a monochrome conversion of an X3F in SPP, vs. a Monochrome conversion done in eg. LR, of an X3F color TIF that was exported out of SPP?   Of course with the color TIF, you would also have the options of working in Nik SilverEfex or Exposure 4 (Alien Skin), etc. also.

The software also allows control over grain in the photo also, but that's more something that could also be done in post processing via other software. That said the results look really nice and it's possible there could be something about the grain engine that makes use of the underlying RAW data.

There may be other aspects I'm not aware of, as they were not actually showing the software in action...

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow