SD Memory Card Suggestions for New E-PL5 User

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,632Gear list
Like?
Class system
In reply to Acrill, Feb 12, 2013

Acrill wrote: I'm not too sure how the 'class' sytems works for SD cards.

The Class system is to represent the minimum write speed for that card, Class 6 needs to be 6Mb/s or faster, Class 10 needs to be 10Mb/s or faster. The read speed is usually faster again but that is not the problem when in the camera, it's always the write speed that matters.

The only way is to do some realistic tests, the free trial version of Flash Memory Toolkit does a decent file size test running from 1 to 15 MB and shows the read & write speeds obtained. A crummy USB reader may affect the results, use a known fast reader or the slot in a notebook for this test.

Quite often Class 6 cards might work like Class 10, and Class 10 card like Class 15 when you see the results. Often cost or brand or batch has little to do with performance, I hear and see just as many SanDisk problems as with other brands.

Do not buy off often surprisingly cheap eBay sources as they are 95% guaranteed to be Chinese fakes that look nice but will not work a specified. Definitely a case of too good to be true.

I've used Adata, Transcend and Team brands with no problems.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow