Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 4,728Gear list
Like?
Re: 650D vs 7D - Please advise!
In reply to Clay King, Feb 12, 2013

Clay King wrote:

ant123uk wrote:

I am a beginner, I have never used a DSLR before!

This line probably says it all. The 7D is jumping in at the deep end when you've never seen water before.

I have been reading and watching videos on the Canon 7D and 650D and just can't decide which is right for me.

If you can't decide between these two, and given the first line, you should err to the side of caution and get the 650D.

I want the camera for general use, family, holidays, days out etc. However I will be attending several Formula 1 races this year and really want to get the best pictures/video I can.

The last phrase in this sentence is the most important. To get the best pictures you can, you have a lot to learn. You won't learn it by this summer for your races. You may decide it's not for you. Start with the 650D. When it gets to the point that it won't do what you want it to do, and (most importantly) you know why it won't and what it takes to get there, then you will be ready for the next step.

I have pretty much decided that I am going to buy a Canon 70-300mm IS USM lens with which ever body I buy and am quite happy to buy the body with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. They should be enough to get me started?

The 70-300 IS USM is a great lens for the money. However, it is not a great lens. I hope that makes sense. I have one. I like it. It only gets limited usage when I need the reach and the IS. Otherwise I use my 70-200 f/2.8L non-IS. That is a great lens for sport/action.

From what I can make out there are two key things that stand out about the 7D; the 8fps and the 8000/1 shutter speed, against 5fps and 4000/1 for the 650D. However I do like the touch and flip screen feature on the 650D and that the fact that it's probably more simple to use and a bit lighter?

If you want 1/8000 and a flip screen, get the 60D. Similar cost as the 650D, but more advanced handling without the overwhelming feeling that will come from the 7D.

So bearing in mind I am a beginner, but that I do want to shoot motor sport, which camera in your opinion would be right for me?

I recently upgraded to a 7D from a 60D. I was very comfortable with the 60D, but I needed the improved AF. I shoot a lot of sports. If I had bought the 7D at the time I got the 60D, I am afraid it may have been detrimental to my development and enjoyment as a photographer.

I'm not trying to talk down to you, I just think as "a beginner" you would be better served with a camera more suited to a beginner. Yes the 7D has a green box mode, and a completely auto AF system, but if you are going to be shooting in green box mode, you are wasting money that could be used elsewhere, such as on better glass and/or a good flash.

Best of luck in your decision,

Clay

I agree 100% with Clay!!!

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow