ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SuneMangs
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Help please: New D3100 or refurb D5100
Feb 12, 2013

DSLR newbie. But I want to learn.

I'm looking at two kits: New D3100 with 18-55mm VR for 449 or a refurb D5100 with same lens for 448 with a one year warranty.
My gut feeling is to go with the D5100 as it is a more advanced model but I've read so many good things about the D3100. It appears to be very beginner friendly and in comparison maybe the D5100 is a little more cumbersome to work with (more drill down into on-screen menus)?!
I'm sure the IQ will not be limited by either camera, it will be me (and my IQ) that is the limiting factor. But I want to make the right choice.
I will be shooting (as in photographing) people, landscapes/nature and some architectural stuff.
Also a consideration is that when my wife wants to use the camera it better be able to "make like a P&S" and produce good results on Auto mode...
I would appreciate any advice. Comments from someone who used both would be fantastic!
SM

Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow