DxO Mark reviews (comparing Canon and Nikon)

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,646Gear list
Like?
Re: DxO Mark reviews (comparing Canon and Nikon)
In reply to bobn2, Feb 12, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Dale Buhanan wrote:

Super post, TTMartin! That information is a real eye opener. Best presentation of the DXO argument that I have seen.

It isn't information. It's ill informed nonsense.

go easy. I can remember a time when you didn't like dxo - then you went nikon

Then your memory is failing you or else you are just not being honest. I have appreciated DxOmark for what it does since it started. Find one post from me saying otherwise. Certainly the overall score is a nonsense, but the measurements are very useful.

-- hide signature --

Bob

His memory isn't failing and he is being totally honest.

Here's the post!!! http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2468367?page=2#forum-post-30102011

bobn2 wrote:

JulienA wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

I don't think there is any APS-C camera that wins 'big time'
over the 50D.

Actually there are a lot of APS-C cameras with better rankings than
50D, but it's true that the IQ differences should be minute. Still a
lot of these cameras are much older than the 50D (pentax k10d, fuji
S5 pro) which again raises the question of the lame recent progresses
made by canon sensors.

better ranking on DxO != wins big time.

For a start, while the science of these tests might be correct, and the site is informative, and the data useful the ranking is to be taken with a pinch of salt. For a start, while correctly normalising figures against pixel count, the final rating takes no account of ability to record detail, which a recent experiment I did indicates is for most a central component of image quality. Thus the 6MP D40 is right up there in the top rank according to DxO. Secondly, the relative importance of the three components is arbitrary, and no research has been done as to whether the weighting used corresponds to a commonly held grading of 'image quality'. If you want to believe that the D200 is better than the 40D, which is according to DxO practically identical in DR and colour depth, but far superior in low light ISO, then do so.
--
Bob

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow