Which of you own an RX100 as a supplement to a DSLR?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Babka08
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Which of you own an RX100 as a supplement to a DSLR?
Feb 12, 2013

I'm an enthusiast hobby photographer, and a busy family man. Increasingly this past year or so I find that I only get photos in the moment, on the spot, out of the blue, in the stream of life or driving by. I just don't have a lot of time to go out on my lonesome and shoot. And I don't have capacity to carry a DSLR with me even most of the time.

Because of this, I find that my Pentax dslr even with some small prime lenses, sits in the drawer. My iPHone seems to come in more handy in the course of a day and the photo opps that crop up. And I get some nice compositions and moments with the phone. But I really loathe the image quality.

I'd like to have a better camera with me all the time. Lugging my DSLR around, small as it is for a DSLR, always seems like overkill or a bit of a hassle (or material risk). So I'm considering unloading a lens or two depending, and getting an RX100, and permanently positioning it to the inside of my jacket pocket so it's always there like my phone.

Alternatively, if you've decided or figured out a way to keep your DSLR at hand most of the time, let me know how you make it work. Maybe that is still my solution instead of looking for more gear. I just want to have a good camera with me as those moments arrive and I'm in a bit of a frustrated space with photo taking these days.

Any suggestions? ("Go out and take some pictures" is an acceptable answer.)

Babka08's gear list:Babka08's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Voigtlander 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar SL II +1 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow