Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Update on my GH3 repair / Good.
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Feb 12, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

My replacement GH3 arrived. Nothing like a second unboxing. This camera does not appear to have the flash issue my first camera had and I have not found any other issues so far. The serial number is in a similar range as my original one. It is a "WE". However, the next few numerals and characters are different.

The EVF on this unit looks identical to the other GH3. It has ghosting off center but looks great when dead center which is not easy to achieve though. I don't use the EVF so that doesn't matter to me.

Color me happy. Thanks to everyone on dpreview and at Panasonic that helped me to resolve this situation.

Good that they sent you a new camera, now you are done, it is just making more and more movies and taking pictures.

About the EVF the GH3 I have spent four hours with, have not showed any issue and it was not a final product.

I use contact lenses, and with them have 99% of good vision. I used the EVF in the same way I use on my other cameras and really I found the GH3 EVf better that the others.

Maybe it the way we look into the EVF.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

I think the issue is that everyone thinks I am comparing the "Quality" of the EVF. I am not. I am simply comparing how forgiving the EVF's are to being off center. I just tried the new GH3 against the GH2 with the same(35-100mm F2.8 lens).

The GH2 just doesn't seem to have as big an issue with ghosting from being off center as the GH3 does. I tried it with my left and right eye and it had the same issue. I simply had trouble keeping my eye centered enough on the GH3. With the GH2 I have to try hard to go off center and make it ghost.

Besides the ghosting the GH3 EVF looks great. However, the ghosting would be a big enough deal to me to not use it if I was inclined to use the EVF in the first place.

That is just my opinion of the EVF. It appears that Panasonic considers the ghosting to be working as designed and I am willing to accept that because it is not a big deal to me anyway. Being limited to 1/160th of a second for stills was a HUGE issue for me.

That is resolved now so I am happy. All of the buttons work, LCD is fine, Flash works, AF works, MF works, Battery and SD card doors are snug, and there aren't any cosmetic issues. The lenses are a little tight to get on but that doesn't seem to present an issue. Overall I think this one is a keeper.

Understood now, next time I got my hands on a GH3 I will pay more attention to the EVF, anyway I have not compared it to the GH2. I compared to the cameras I have, G2 and GF1 (the GF2 does not count because I only have the external EVF), and compared to the OMD, and G5.

Now I am a bit "afraid" to buy a GH3 but like Panasonic seems to deal well like in your case, I am more calm about that. Maybe I have to wait still some months because it is a greatĀ investment with the two fast (f/2.8) new zooms, and maybe at that time the cameras produced are already corrected in somethings. The first series on all brands almost always have some issues. The majority are resolved by firmware upgrades.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow