Recommended external flash for Olympus PEN E-PM2

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 18,349Gear list
Like?
Plus 1 for FL-300R
In reply to Phil, Feb 12, 2013

Phil wrote:

The FL-300R is just about the right size and can be used remote as well as bounce. The others just get too big for the E-PM2.

Bought the FL-300R to use with my E-PL5 as a small travel flash, works nicely but there is no FP high speed sync so you are stuck with the usual up to 1/250 sync on E-M5/E-PL5/E-PM2. The RC control works nicely if you also carry the FL-LM1 to trigger it.

Very convenient and small to carry. When on the camera it can be bent back for ceiling bounce, straight up for regular face on flash, bent forward a little for close-up and possible macro (not tried as yet for macro), then folded flat forward over the lens when not needed for a little while.

It turns off when folded down and turns on again when folded upright - but make sure to bring it the straight up and not the tilted forward macro position.

The first thing is to experiment with the flash and ISO, by default it flops to ISO 200, but the flash range can be increased nicely as you set to ISO 400 or maybe 800. Just find the highest ISO that gives a useful result for you and leave that for the times when a 'big' flash is needed.

I use a pair of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables (AAA size) as Eneloops, or equivalent low self discharge types in other brands, work well in flashes.

Be aware that flashes are always on waiting for the On button to be pressed so there is tiny  battery drain when seemingly off, so for travel and not needing the flash for more than a few days, I put a scrap of paper under a battery contact to make it really off, but leave that scrap visible outside the battery hatch so I know to remove it before I try to use the flash.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Casio Exilim EX-ZR1000 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow