Best moderate priced telephoto - (also posted on DSLR Lens site)

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
happysnapper64
Senior MemberPosts: 4,571Gear list
Like?
Re: Best moderate priced telephoto - (also posted on DSLR Lens site)
In reply to 2esetters, Feb 12, 2013

2esetters wrote:

Having viewed so many great photo's on this site over the past week I think I want to include wildlife in my outdoor pasion for landscape.

Hey Don. 300mm is an absolute minimum for wildlife. You don't seem to have made your mind up whether you want a prime or a zoom? The 2 most popular wildlife lenses for Canon users are the 100-400f/4-5.6 IS L & 400f/5.6 L. Both have a large following. The 100-400 is more versitile, but the 400 probably has better picture quality, but no stabilization. I bought my Sigma 120-400 OS after testing alongside a Canon 100-400, & I honestly saw very little difference in the images when I viewed them on my 15" monitor. The Sigma was £650 new with 3 yrs warranty, the Canon was £1,000 used wirh 6months warranty. I am not making a blanket statement that the Sigma is better, or even as good as the Canon, but of the 2 copies I tested, the Canon was in no way £350 better than the Sigma. Copy variation?

-- hide signature --

lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow