ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PreetinderBajwa
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?
Got me a Canon :-)
Feb 12, 2013

Hello World !!

I got myself a Canon EOS 5D Mark 3 today and while I was at it, I picked up a 70-200 2.8 IS II and Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC   The bags were heavy but the bank account is ligggghhhttttt

while testing the camera body earmarked for me..... The body failed ! It wouldn't recognize any lens attached to it ! Freaked me out ! But then of course the shop got a new body !

I tried the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC USD also, What tilted the decision in the favor of Canon ? BTW Canon is HKD 16800 and Tamron was HKD 11900.

1.  even though the Tamron was really sharp it was less overall sharp than Canon (to my eyes)

2.  at 200 mm the picture taken with Tamron was smaller on the 5D3 screen than the one taken with the Canon !!

3. Canon's has two types of IS vs only one type of VC on Tamron ! (I don't know when I'll ever use the second type of IS though :-D)

4.  The focusing is a bit more fast on Canon !

5.  The IS was more effective at 1/30 and 1/10 on Canon ( I do have shaky hands but they are consistently shaky for Canon or Tamron :-D)

6. The most important thing in Canon's favor was the inexplicable overall feel of the pic ! It was just more pleasing overall !

The Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC vs  Canon 24-70 2.8 II was a tougher battle..... In the shop the Tamron was taking damn good pictures, let's say at least 90% quality (if not 95%) of Canon's lens. Tamron was HKD 8900 and Canon is HKD 16300). Keeping cost in mind and the perceived Tamron picture quality, I decided to go with Tamron.

After fooling around at home with the Tamron, I can see I was probably wrong to go with it will load pictures tomorrow after I take it out for a walk ! Fooling around pictures showed :

1. Onion Bokeh balls..... They are horrendous ! And everywhere !

2. The camera showed the lens has focused, when I saw the picture on my 21" computer screen..... It's not sharp or focused to my eyes

3. The lens does hunt a bit in low light, but to me that isn't an issue as I am a hobbyist photographer

4. The corners are dark at 2.8 as the reviews suggest...... no big deal again..... I could correct it in LR4.

5.  Compared to the test pictures I took with Canon..... The Tamron feels CHEAP in picture quality so far ! 5000 dollars cheap if not 7400 dollars cheap definitely !

6. If  the pictures tomorrow aren't pleasing.... This is going back to be replaced by the Canon bank account says ouch !

Preet

-- hide signature --

If money was not an issue for a lifetime - what would you be doing instead of what you do now ?

PreetinderBajwa's gear list:PreetinderBajwa's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow