New to Challenges: couple of comments and a disclosure

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tim A2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097
Like?
Re: New to Challenges: couple of comments and a disclosure
In reply to KambizSh, Feb 12, 2013

KambizSh wrote:

Simply stating, I think the algorithm works such that when you do not vote for a given picture in a challenge, the algorithm would effectively assume as though you have given an "average" rating for that picture with the "average" being calculated based on the Bayesian parameters. Now, I am not sure if their parameters are adaptively adjusted based on the actual votes in every specific challenge, or if they are picked/adjusted more globally based on some historic trends across all challenges. In either case, the algorithm tries to make "not-voting" almost equivalent to "average-voting". So if a picture is truly an average picture when compared among all the challenge entries, not voting for it should have little impact on the voting result. However, when a picture is clearly high above average, not voting for it can give it a bit of unfair disadvantage. Similarly, when a picture is far below average, not voting for it can give it a bit of unfair advantage. So, bottom line, it would be best to vote for all entries...

-K.

Here is the way I look at it. Not voting on an entry simply leaves it with whatever score the formula has given it at that time. By voting you not only change the score to reflect your opinion, but you also increase the likelihood the final result will be determined by the voters and not by the formula.

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow